welcome

welcome
welcome

Wednesday 25 May 2016

THE BRT LESSON


... and so, needed to hit Victoria Island of Lagos state Nigeria this morning before work...
'Lagocians' know the usual traffic saga as one of Eko's logo...lol
To beat traffic so I could meet up with my work time, I parked my car somewhere safe and joined a BRT bus since it's fully air conditioned and runs on a customized lane, makes it an easy way through (which of course turned out to be).

But here is the reason for this piece of writing>
On my way back, I learnt several lessons of which I am not in a hurry to forget, since I had to pay for the ticket before i could join the BRT bus (as normal). I was initially walking towards the ticketer's point at my own pace when i noticed a man from behind walking faster than normal so he could get ahead, pay before me and probably get a better space for seat since it was just this one bus on ground at the time.

As soon as I noticed the man's haste I also decided to quicken my step too.
Lesson 1: do not engage yourself in unnecessary competition or run after other people without a clear direction or a good reason to do so. Neither should you always allow what you see cause an instant reaction, always think it through and ask if any action you take will be worth it at the end? ‎ That's self control.

He actually got to the ticket purchase point before me and got his ticket first
Lesson 2: do not be carried away with anyone's present position or attainment. What you see might not be what it is.
That is intelligence.

I felt like I wasn't fast enough at that point since he still got in the bus before me
3rd lesson: things are not always the way we rush to conclude they are. There is more to a thing than you can immediately understand.
That is understanding.

He got in and I followed behind. And as I stepped into the bus 'after him', I heard two cool voices whisper to me 'sit right there'. Although I couldn't tell who and who said it but I was sure I heard it again a second time and so I quickly took the seat next to where I stood.
4th lesson: it pays to pay attention to still voices and not get carried away trying to catch up with those you think are ahead of you.

That is focus in the right direction.

All of a sudden, this man who got in before me kept checking for vacant seat from one point to another. I then realized that the seat I accepted to seat on happened to be the last vacant sit in the bus. Don't also forget i earlier mentioned that there was no other bus in line for the period.
Left with little or no option, he had to go with this only available bus 'standing'.
LESSON 5: in life, never you think or accept that those who seem to be ahead today will get the best out of life, leaving nothing for anyone coming after. 


It's never a matter of who first does what.

Getting good and profitable result is more important than speed. 
Do not engage yourself chasing shadows. 

Do not disturb your mind thinking that others have gotten what you intended to have, occupy places you wish to be or taken the best part of it all and that it is the end of the road for you, no! no!! no!!!

Remember this: When the whistle blows at the beginning of a race, the first to leave the mark will not necessary be the first to cross the finishing line.
Be patience and stable, things will turn out much better than you can ever bargain for.

1 comment: